That’s right I said taking eggshell membrane joint supplements to help your joint ache. People like to ask me if they should be taking health supplements to help with their knee osteoarthritis, hip joint pain, back pain and general joint aches. I believe good nutrition is very important for our overall health and plays a big part in muscle, joint and nerve pain management, as I mentioned in the deflame diet.
Most people know, or have heard about, glucosamine and chondroitin supplements for knee osteoarthritis. I stumbled across how there is a new joint support supplement called BiovaFlex™ which is made up of the natural eggshell membrane [NEM]. I know I had to find out more, like you want to now know, about “how can taking membrane from an eggshell be good for us?”
BiovaFlex Joint Supplement
The company that started all of this news about using the membrane from eggs is called Biova, LLC based in Ames, Iowa in the USA.
Biova has a patented technique to strip the membrane away from a used eggshell. They then isolate and concentrate this membrane making it water-soluble via a process called Hydro5™. The end product is called Ovacore™ from which the dietary joint supplement BiovaFlex™ is finally produced.
There are millions of eggs that are cracked everyday in food plants. The eggshell is normally seen as a waste product. This means there is a sustainable source from which Biova can harvest eggshell membranes.
Watch below medical doctor, Dr Cathleen London, tell you more about this new type of pill for your joint health.
How Is This Different from Glucosamine & Chondroitin?
First thing is what is glucosamine and chondroitin?
Glucosamine is a naturally occurring substance in our bodies found in the cartilage of our joints. You will see most glucosamine joint support supplements come with chondroitin sulphate. Chondroitin to is a naturally occurring substance in the cartilage of our joints.
The main idea behind putting them both in a dietary supplement to try help slow the progression of the degenerative changes that occur with osteoarthritis and help control the pain associated with the wear and tear effect.
Typically you’ll find MSM added with them for arthritis joint support. Most people don’t take the recommended dosage of 1500mg per day. Another worry is glucosamine is sourced from shellfish so is not suitable for those with shellfish allergy.
However a recent review of in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) wasn’t very favourable at all for using chondroitin and glucosamine tablets for knee or hip arthritis symptoms.
Now learn what are the ingredients of eggshell membrane.
Eggshell Membrane Ingredients
The BiovaFlex joint care supplement is said to contain:
- Collagen – fibrous protein for cartilage
- Elastin – protein to give various tissues elasticity
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Transforming Growth Factor β – protein for tissue repair, cellular differentiation and immune function
- Desmosine & Isodesmosine – two little known peptides to create the rubbery properties of elastin
Results So Far
I know what your thinking it is all fine and dandy to know the biochemical breakdown for the different joint support tablets, but how will using this new joint support supplement help me.
In the BiovaFlex™ publication I have seen they claim:
- Alleviate everyday joint aches and pains
- Reduce joint discomfort
- Improve joint mobility, flexibility and function
- Promote normal inflammatory response
- Provide antioxidants
- Provide joints with the building blocks needed to build cartilage
- Support healthy joints
There have been two human studies so far. One in the Clinical Interventions in Aging (Clin Interv Aging) journal and one in journal, Clinical Rheumatology (Clin Rheumatol).
The results look promising so far with an improvement in pain symptoms, improvement in knee function and no adverse side effects. These studies reported positive changes within 7 days of taking the supplement.
These studies used 500mg per day supplements of the natural eggshell membrane from BiovaFlex to get these results.
Worried About Side-Effects
Biova also claims that if you are worried because you have an allergy to eggs or worried about the hygiene of eggshells that doing a RAST-inhibition test (radioallergosorbent test) indicated it was highly unlikely that natural eggshell membrane presented any risk to egg allergic sufferers.
The worry about bacteria in the product was said not cytotoxic on a Bacterial Reverse Mutation Assay.
Where Can I Get Some
I know this new joint supplement product is produced in the USA so I went looking on the internet to see if an eggshell membrane supplement is available in the UK. I did find Swanson Health Products and Dr Mercola Joint Formula who you can buy from on Amazon. There is even joint supplements for pets like dogs as In know they suffer from arthritic joints with age like we do.
The Bottom Line
To maintain healthy joints and cartilage it is important to be able to move without pain as we age and to counteract the effects of lifestyle activities like high impact sports. It would seem you might soon start hearing your doctor or chiropractor recommending daily natural eggshell membrane joint supplements to support your tired and sore joints and cartilage.Image Credit: Some rights reserved by colindunn
- Effects of glucosamine, chondroitin, or placebo in patients with osteoarthritis of hip or knee: network meta-analysis. Wandel S, Jüni P, Tendal B, Nüesch E, Villiger PM, Welton NJ, Reichenbach S, Trelle S. BMJ. 2010 Sep 16;341:c4675.
- Eggshell membrane: a possible new natural therapeutic for joint and connective tissue disorders. Results from two open-label human clinical studies. Ruff KJ, DeVore DP, Leu MD, Robinson MA. Clin Interv Aging. 2009;4:235-40.
- Eggshell membrane in the treatment of pain and stiffness from osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study. Ruff KJ, Winkler A, Jackson RW, DeVore DP, Ritz BW. Clin Rheumatol. 2009 Aug;28(8):907-14.