I read some breaking new on the BBC website yesterday. It would seem that NHS Kernow in Cornwall has authorised that patients can get their lower back pain treatment from a chiropractor paid for by the National Health Service. There are some criteria that need to be followed before a patient qualifies to have the treatment covered.
There are other NHS chiropractors that I have been able to find before. However, you would have been very limited as to the local GP surgery that could have referred you for back pain treatment. Well if you’re in South West England you might be lucky enough to fall under the catchment area covered by the Kernow Health Referral Management Service.
Criteria Needed To See a Cornwall NHS Chiropractor
According to the BBC news article the following points need to be ticked to qualify a NHS referral to a chiropractor:
- Cornwall patients must be over 16,
- Been living in the county for at least a year,
- Be registered with a NHS GP,
- Treatment covered would involve manipulation of muscles, bones and joints, often in the spine,
- Chiropractic sessions would only be available for neck or back pain which had appeared within 12 months,
- There are currently 14 approved Chiropractic clinics.
I know the British Chiropractic Association has been working for many years to have Chiropractic included on the NHS as a treatment option that GP’s can refer to for musculoskeletal conditions.